Labiaplasty is an intimate form of cosmetic surgery, which involves reducing the labia minora or the “lips” of the vagina. At times, the labia can be elongated, fleshy and protuberant. For many patients, this can cause significant discomfort and embarrassment.
This form of vaginal rejuvenation or genital surgery, can reduce the outward appearance of the labia (labia minora) and correct misshapenness or irregularities.
- Remove the emphasis on labia minora and/or clitoral hood.
- Improve intimate relationships and increase sexual pleasure.
- Correct the tears or deformity that can occur as a result of childbirth.
- Create symmetrical appearance between your right and left “vaginal lips.”
- Reduce the size or remove labia minora.
- Correct any scar contracture or distortion.
- Restore the contour and fullness of the labia majora.
What is labiaplasty?
Labiaplasty is a procedure designed to reduce and/or reshape the labia minora. This refers to the skin that covers the female clitoris and vaginal opening.
|Also known as:||Labiaplasty, labioplasty, vaginoplasty, vaginal rejuvenation, genital surgery, cosmetic genital surgery, vaginal labiaplasty, vagina surgery|
Should I get labiaplasty?
Labiaplasty procedure may be performed for both for physical and/or psychological reasons. An enlarged and protruding labia may cause discomfort and irritation from clothing or during intercourse. For many women, this condition can have a very negative impact on their self-confidence, which can also affect their intimate relationships and decrease sexual pleasure. If you fall into one of the above categories, labiaplasty is a delicate procedure that can safely and effectively address these concerns.
Labiaplasty by a female doctor
Labiaplasty is a very intimate form of surgery and many women feel more comfortable with a doctor who can truly understand their concerns. For this reason, our highly experienced and compassionate female doctor, Dr Shadi Khalili performs labiaplasty procedures. As a woman, Dr Khalili can provide a more delicate approach and understanding to your concerns.
What causes an enlarged labia minora?
Enlarged labia can be caused by the one of the following:
- Hereditary enlargement
- Hormonal imbalances
- Chronic infection
- Chronic irritation
- Age-related causes
If age is a factor, the problem may be due to a loss of substance and loss of skin elasticity, which has caused irritation. If you do have any form of infection, it is important that the original cause is treated prior to surgery. With the labia majora it is usually a fat transfer graft, which is required to restore a more normal appearance.
Labiaplasty Procedure – Dr Shadi Khalili
Labiaplasty is performed as a day surgery under light general anaesthetic or a twilight with local anaesthetic. The procedure involves small incisions to remove the problem areas and/or the bulk of the redundant tissue.
The stitches are dissolvable and do not need to be removed. The incision is very inconspicuous and is virtually imperceptible in time. Typically, no dressings are needed and most patients only experience mild discomfort. A labiaplasty can be combined with other cosmetic surgical procedures.
Other procedure techniques
- Fat transfer can restore the contour and fullness of the labia minora
- Clitoral Hood Reduction can reduce the size of the overhanging clitoral hood skin
- Mons Pubis Liposuction reduces the fatty excess tissue in the pubic region
Does labiaplasty reduce sensation?
Sensation and function are normal and well maintained, and not infrequently, enhanced.
Labiaplasty surgery recovery
- Labiaplasty is performed as a day surgery so you can go home after you are discharged.
- You can resume light activities the following day and intercourse within 30 days.
- You can shower 1 day post-surgery.
- Patients experience minimal pain, which will subside in the first few days and usually requires mild painkillers.
- Swelling is mild to moderate. This peaks at 2-3 days then disappears rapidly over the next 3 weeks.
- Minimal bruising is to be expected.
- No stitches need to be removed as the small incisions are closed with dissolvable stitches.
- Most patients can return to work in 7 days or when comfortable
- You must take particular care when going to the toilet until the wounds are properly healed.
What can I expect after labiaplasty surgery?
- Significant improvement in comfort.
- Often more comfortable in certain clothing, especially snug pants.
- Results will last a lifetime.
- Patient’s report an improvement in sexual relations.
There are the normal risks of any surgery, which may include moderate discomfort, bruising and swelling. Infection is uncommon but it is in an area prone to infection and so extra precautions need to be taken during toileting and washing. Antibiotics are routinely prescribed to further lessen this risk.
Sometimes the amount of tissue removed may not be exactly what is hoped for (too much or too little). This may be corrected with revision surgery or there may be anatomical or technical issues, which may result in a compromised result. Temporary interference with the stream of passing urine can occur.
Poor healing of wounds leading to tight or extra sensitive scars which may affect intercourse. There are treatments available to help resolve this. There may also be altered sensation.
Significant complications are uncommon and of those that do occur, usually settle with time or may be resolved with corrective surgery.
How much does labiaplasty surgery cost?
The cost for labiaplasty procedure starts from $4325. A consultation with Dr Shadi Khalili will help provide a exact cost as this procedure is extremely tailored to each individual, concerns and desired result.